Search engines are very smart and intelligent in ranking your website in the top positions. So, it is very important for small businesses to understand some basic concepts of SEO on how it optimizes your website to get better ranking in search results. Following are some things to consider for on-page optimization.
On-page Optimization: This is one of the optimizing techniques that can be controlled by you. Optimization can be done on the pages of your website to make it easy to find, index and understand your website’s content. This helps the search engine crawlers to read your website content. Readable quality content helps your website to get better rank in the search engines and drives traffic to your website.
- Quality content: Content is king. So, you need to create content that is fresh, relevant and informative. At the same time, your content should contain appropriate and relevant keywords. Because keywords stresses the importance of optimization. And also make sure that your web-page formatting is appropriate. This helps in attracting the customer’s attention to read and engage with the content.
- URL structure: Based on your websites URL structure, search engines have the ability to index and understand your site’s content. Make sure your URL should contain primary keywords and each word in it should be separated by hyphen (-).
- Images: Your web-page images should be optimized. Because it helps the search engine to read. You can optimize it in two ways. One by file name, here each word of image file name should be separated by dashes. And other way to optimize is ALT text where your text should match the file name.
- Title Tag: Each web-page has a title tag. And it is blue link, bolded and underlined text that appears on the search engine result page (SERP) and also on the top left browser bar. Make sure your title tag should be around 70 to 75 characters and include one or two primary keywords.
- Meta Tag: There are two meta tags. One is meta description which is a small snippet of 150 characters. This description tells what your specific web page is about. And this description is very important, because based on this search engine puts it under the blue title tag of SERP. And other one is meta keywords, which contains a few list of other keywords that are related to your web-page.
- Heading Tag: Heading tag of each page should contain primary keywords. And it should be aligned with the page title and URL. Because people will see this tag first when they arrive on your web-page.
- Internal linking: When you create content on your web-page and you want to give reference to other web-pages that is relevant to your content then you can do internal linking. This helps the visitor to know more about the information you are providing in your website.