For small businesses, hiring new employees is a major issue in their business. Adding new talent to the existing set of people is not only challenging for any business, but also is important for reaching the desired goals. This article discusses tips on hiring new employees for small businesses.
Following are some tips for hiring new employees for small businesses:
- Defining clearly the role you are recruiting for: Spare time as you need to figure out the duties and responsibilities of the new employees you are hiring and check out whether the prospective employee is suitable to the job – whether the person can manage the tasks and responsibilities assigned.
- Planning employee’s recruitment strategy: After defining the job, set up a recruitment plan and also a meeting with key employees who are involved in hiring. In the meeting, plan a recruiting strategy and start executing the same. Make a plan such that it is easy to execute.
- Telephone interview: Speaking to potential candidates on telephone before calling for interview can be the best way of pre-screening. It will help you judge the candidates’ character.
- Preparing a set of interview questions: Have a set of interview questions that you would like to ask each applicant. This makes interviewing the candidate much easier and help you in finalizing the best candidate that fit your company.
- Pre-screening the candidate: As candidates may be good on paper, pre-screening helps in telling whether their qualification match with the job requirement. Moreover, you are able to determine their salary expectations with the help of pre-screening.
- Checking backgrounds and references: An important step when hiring an employee is checking their background, because it is important to verify whether they actually possess the skills and experience they mentioned in resumes. The background check includes work references, educational credentials, employment references, etc.
- Trusting your instincts: Hiring the right candidate for the right job is more than an experience. It is also important to have right attitude. Make sure to judge the applicant properly when you select them in the interview. If the person is not right for the job, your work life will become intolerable. So trust your instincts.
Small businesses financially not that good. It is, therefore it is important to hire new people according to the need of your business and the suitability of the aspirants. Following the steps just discussed are likely to help. Read the rest of this entry »