Container gardening or pot gardening is one of the easiest ways to grow flowers and vegetables at our convenience without worrying much about the
soil and water requirement. These containers can be moved anywhere based on our convenience and the sunlight requirement. Now-a-days gardeners are growing all varieties of vegetables in containers because they are much easier to maintain then the traditional ones. Traditional gardening takes lot of effort to maintain especially in winter seasons as some vegetables cannot survive in extreme cold weather conditions. We need not worry about such problems in container gardening as these plants can be moved to safer places when the temperatures are extreme. To get started with container gardening we need to follow some basic steps –
There is no restriction in choosing the containers, but the size and the material should meet your planting requirements. Just remember, for bigger vegetables we need to go for larger pots because the roots of a bigger sized plant will not grow well in a smaller container. They can be of different materials – plastic, wood, terracotta, cement etc. We can also use things like boxes or buckets that are around the house as containers unless we are very particular about their aesthetic look. While some people prefer hanging or wall mounted containers to decorate their gardens, others go for vertical gardening to minimize their space. It is just the preference and the enthusiasm that is making these gardeners utilize the opportunity to grow plants in limited space.
Since containers have less amount of soil when compared to ground, the water required to maintain these plants is also minimal. However, we need to make sure the pots have a drain to release excess water otherwise the plants may die because of improper watering. In order to grow the plants healthy, sometimes we may have to water plants twice a day especially in summers because the container soil will not hold water for long duration.
Start with small plants
If you are starting to learn container gardening, then start with simple herbs as they are very easy to grow and maintain. Growing vegetables is a bit tricky and it requires some gardening practices to maintain the plants in a healthy condition. It could mean that all your efforts will go waste if the vegetable plants are not properly maintained. Especially, veggies require proper soil composition and enhancers to get a good harvest. Any mistake in mixing the compost or fertilizer may result in very poor yield. Hence, beginners can initially start with herbs and slowly keep on increasing their garden one-by-one to fresh vegetables and fruits throughout the growing season.
Move it to sunlight or shade
One of the biggest advantage with container gardening is greater flexibility & control, with less disease and pest issues. Now we need not worry about losing our plants in summer or in winter seasons due to extreme climatic conditions. All we have to do is move it to a convenient place where it gets sufficient sunlight to grow the plant well. Many people prefer to keep their herbal gardens very handy on the kitchen counter tops because they can instantly use these fresh herbs into their culinary items. Overall, with simple investment and planning, we can grow and enjoy abundant crops of fresh vegetables and fruits at home.
Container gardening or pot gardening is one of the easiest ways to grow flowers and vegetables at our convenience without worrying much about the
As the owner of a website, your ultimate goal is to promote your site, drive traffic and get paid for the ads. In order to promote your site, instead of going for an ad network company you can promote your site yourself if you are able to follow a few steps regularly. Some of these steps are listed here.
1. Make your site visible to search engines
At first you must increase your visibility on different search engines. This can be done through keywords. Place keywords in the meta-tags so that it will be listed in organic search results. This is how your website will be visible for search engines such as Google, Bing, Yahoo!, etc.
2. Specify your website’s URL
Use the URL of your website everywhere – from letterheads, business cards to email signature so that people will come to know about your site.
3. Join social media networking communities
Join various social networking communities. This is the way by which, you can drive more traffic to your site. It should be regularly updated with your site’s information.
4. Submit your site to directories
Prefer submitting your site in directories, yellow pages, etc. Here, you need to register at first. These will help your business listings.
5. Provide excellent customer service
Provide good customer service so that people will remember your site and will keep visiting your site regularly. Good customer service is important for any kind of business.
6. Building business partnerships
In order to promote the site, you must also maintain some contacts with similar business people and if possible have partnerships with them.
7. Managing blogs
Maintaining a blog is another major helping factor in promoting your website. Blogs comprise a collection of articles, essays, etc., written by individuals, or a group of individuals. It is sensible to let viewers know about your site by writing some articles yourself. Blogs encourage readers to comment.
8. Link exchange with other sites
Last but not the least exchange links of your website with other sites so that you can also drive traffic from other websites and both of you can benefit. Link with only authoritative sites. Avoid purchasing links.
To get natural links from authoritative sites, make sure to post original and unique content. This is likely to help you attract traffic to your site. In addition, writing for other websites in your niche/industry. At the end of the write-up that you send as guest blog, paste your website URL. This will make visitors come to your site, and read the article.
These steps will help your website get promoted at no cost and you need not take the help of an ad network company.
Read the rest of this entry »
Website monitoring is critical for every business website. Website monitoring effects search engine ranking, reputation and credibility of the site. Any serious issue associated with it, can become a nightmare for a business owner. In this post, you will see what is website monitoring and its types.
What is website monitoring?
Website monitoring is a process of testing the performance of the website in terms of its availability and functionality. This helps you to be one-step ahead before your customer’s complaint.
Types of website monitoring: There are mainly two types of website monitoring, synthetic monitoring and passive monitoring.
- What is synthetic monitoring?
Synthetic monitoring is also called as “active monitoring”. It imitates the behavior of the web browser. Here scripts are programmed to mimic the actions that the end user do on website. These actions are regularly monitored to know the performance of the website – availability, functionality and the response time of pages and transactions. This is a form of test that helps you to identify the issues of your website before it affects your end-users.
From multiple points, it finds the performance and connectivity problems – website or its applications are slow or experiencing downtime. For this process, it does not require actual web-traffic and you can test website applications continuously to know its availability and performance.
- Benefits of synthetic monitoring:
- It is a planned activity; you can detect the issues of website applications before it affects the customers.
- It can be done from inside the network or from multiple points of the internet.
- If your website is designed for globally, then you can test the performance of your website in different geographical locations. In addition, you will get a holistic view of the geographically distributed users.
- It provides metric form an end-user perspective.
- What is passive monitoring?Passive monitoring is also called as “real user monitoring”. It records all the users’ interactions with the website and its applications. These records are very important to determine whether your website is working as expected – error free, quick web page loading time or else experiencing any downtime or any part of the system is failed.Software as a service (SaaS) and Application service providers (ASP) use real user monitoring to deliver quality service to their clients. There are software applications that allow finding the end user’s experience, where they clicked, measures response time. etc.
- Benefits of real user monitoring:
- It helps you to know the end user experience over your website or web applications.
- It records the users’ interactions on your website and you can use this data for generating test scripts (synthetic monitoring).
- Based on the end-user experience, you can resolve the issues quickly.
Drawing a marketing plan is important for attracting target audience and to retain them. The marketing plan should be detailed, well researched and well written. It should identify, who your target customers are, how you will reach them, and how you will retain your prospective customers so that they repeatedly buy from you. Here are some key components that you should include in your marketing plan.
The executive summary of the marketing plan is its precursor – the first part of your marketing plan. It should include the name of your business, its location and products or services you are selling. It should also include what your business is all about, when your business was founded, the number of employees, information about the bank(s) you do business with and investors, and financial summary.
Be clear about your target market and its segments. To identify your target market, you need to know your customers, understand your customers’ need and why they buy. To identify your market segment, you should know who and where your customers are. Include information such as key demographics (age, gender family size, income and nationality). In addition, make sure to include who are your competitors, what your unique selling point (USP) is and what benefits your product/service bring to consumers.
Products and services
Describe your range of products and services. Include price list, tell why you are different, understand what your target audiences need, what they currently use and how your products/services can benefit them more.
Budget and planning
Planning and budgeting will help you ensure your marketing plans for your Business are practical. It is the most effective way to control cash flow. You need to outline your budget in different areas such as sales, advertising, marketing, production, etc. Budgeting and planning play a vital role in ensuring that you stay in control of expenditure.
Sales and marketing
In your marketing plan, write down the marketing strategies (how you will find potential customers) and sales method (face-to-face, telesales, print media, internet, etc.). A properly structured sales and marketing plan will help you understand how you will execute it and how you will generate sales.
Performing a SWOT analysis of your marketing plan will help you identify not only your own strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats, but also your competitors. Your company’s internal strengths, internal weaknesses, external opportunities and threats will help you make the marketing message more effective and know what your competitors are doing.
If done properly, your marketing plan will continue to be the road map for your success, and you will get more customers. This is likely to improve the success of your business.
Read the rest of this entry »
No matter how big or small the website is, maintaining good uptime and server performance is important for online businesses to generate revenues. These two are the key measures that determines how well the website is functioning for end user activity. When there is a frequent disruption in website activity and is not reliably available for customer usage, customers get frustrated and may stop visiting those sites subsequently. The losses incurred during planned downtimes are minimal because they are generally scheduled during off peak hours. However, unplanned downtimes are crucial because the site owners cannot expect when the instance is going to occur exactly. Analyzing the cause also becomes difficult as it may happen for any reason, could be the server problem or power outage.
What is Website Uptime ?
A website uptime is defined as the measure of website availability without downtimes, that means the rate at which the website is available to the users without any disruption. Most often, website owners depend on the hosting providers to determine site uptime and track its performance. In fact, hosting services offer 100% uptime rate to their customer websites, but in reality they rarely deliver promised uptime due to some inefficiencies.
Also when considering uptime, it is not just the availability of website but the performance also matters. Unfortunately, many hosting companies consider site availability for uptime calculation rather than its performance and functionality. Sometimes, the site may be up but may have issues with page loads or functionality. This situation is more problematic than downtimes because site owners may not even know about the issue until they are informed by other sources. Hence, it is not a good idea to depend on hosting companies for keeping a check on website uptimes. Site owners need a reliable service such as website monitoring services which can monitor and provide reports on server & network performance as well as site uptime issues.
Best Method to Track Website Uptime
While relying on hosting provider for tracking uptime is not sensible, checking the website availability for 24 hours manually is impractical. It is unfeasible for website owners to track each component and check the status of their websites manually for performance and functionality. The best choice for site owners is to have a real-time tracking using a good website monitoring services that can monitor their websites for downtime and other key parameters that indicate performance deterioration. It is efficient method to track uptime monitoring as it provides continuous tracking as well as constant access to live data about parameters that indicate website performance situation. Any instances of downtime or performance degradation will be instantly alerted to the website owners, so it enables appropriate action immediately and reduces the downtime duration.
While shopping for website hosting, people typically come across many plans that differ in operating system, functionality, price, database formats etc. Well, for a non-technical person the options look very confusing unless the person has prior experience of using one of these services before. Generally, providers offer both Linux and Windows hosting as a part of their package, differing in technical specifications and prices. In fact, many get confused if the operating system of the hosting platform really matters when designing and publishing the website. Before discussing the differences between these two, let us first see the things that they have in common.
How to choose the right hosting
Most of us think that the operating system that we are using on our PCS should be in sync with the hosting platform to make the web host running. It is absolutely irrelevant whether we are using Windows, Linux, Mac or others because the OS provided by web host and the OS that we are running on our personal computers are entirely different things. No matter what operating system we are working on, the user interface or the web editor provided by the hosting service to create the applications will not be connected to your computer OS. What really matters depends on what kind of technologies your website is mostly depending on – either microsoft technologies that requires Windows hosting or PHP, Perl & MYSQL that needs Linux hosting.
Windows vs Linux hosting
Unlike windows, Linux is an open source platform with flexible features, good compatability with many database formats and most importantly it is cheaper than the other. Even though PHP, Perl and MySQL run on Windows machines, these formats work well when they are used in Linux environment. Infact, those who like to start with a small blog or website, can opt for basic linux shared hosting because the system is flexible with low cost. Similarly, if the website is using ASP or ASP.NET code, or requires Microsoft Access or MSSQL databases then Windows is a more convenient option. Overall, it the individual choice to choose between these two specific technologies and make maximum use out of it is based on the website requirements and server needs.
Content creation for websites makes an art form of its own unlike other print materials where the content text will be scrapped. Internet users across switch to millions of choices in search of the right content.
According to some research an average viewer stick around a website for about 10 seconds where in dragging the readers attention makes a point in that instant of time. Making the availability of right content on your website such that the potential customer holds on for long enough to look over what you offer is important. Here are some tips for creating the right content for your website:
Content should be relevant and valuable: When people on internet get sin to searching a topic in the search engine they expect that it provides relevant information according to the search. Finding irrelevant information by clicking on your website makes them to shift to the next page resulted in search of their need.
Make your content concise: Visitors prefer to review the website information quickly and there is no need to over work on your point.
Consider the inverted pyramid method: Professional web content creators make use of the inverted pyramid method by putting up the conclusions at the beginning of the page and working backwards. Using the inverted pyramid method makes to put up the important information on top and front.
Be specific to topic: Web visitors usually search specifically to some topic and get frustrated if allowed to filter through huge information in finding the right one they are looking for. Adding up of related content links within your page makes it easy rather than trying to include all the information in to one page. Breaking down of the content in case of a broad topic and making one topic per paragraph makes your user to access easily for the right information.
Go rechecking for spelling and grammar mistakes: Content with spelling and grammar errors makes it unprofessional hence after you finish writing look over for errors if made thoroughly.
Write in respect to your audience: Making the website content search engine friendly by using links, key words and SEO techniques forms a primary thing to be done thus making your content readable and engaging the people visiting your site. After all the goal of the content creator is that they should make the visitors converted to customers.
Content creation for your business website can be challenging, but by following the above said tips one can be sure about the content value and relevancy thus engaging your readers.
Read the rest of this entry »
California can be distinguished from other USA states as an efficient provider of both services and merchandise to international trade along with being the principal gate way for passenger travel, air cargo and water borne shipping.
- The total number of small businesses in California is 3,571,013 where 683,999 are businesses with employees and 2,887,014 are businesses without employees. The total number of workers employed by small businesses are in the number 6,331,871.
- During the second quarter of 2013, 73,920 enterprises opened and 80,330 closed down in the state of California.
- Bankruptcies in business have declined from 2010-2013 making it a stronger economy.
Statistics on California’s trade:
- In 2013, the state of California traded with 229 foreign markets and goods were exported were worth $168.1 billion.
- 10.6% of US exports will be produced in California and also 16.8% of US imports are destined finally to California.
- In 2011, the state of California ranked first in service exports with a value of $89.3 billion.
- In the year 2012, total of 75,012 companies exported goods of which 71,921 or almost 95.9% were small firms which generated about two-fifths (44.6%) of the states total export value.
- Tourism industry in the state brings over $60 billion annually in sales thus providing jobs nearly for 700,000 citizens of California.
Overall state economy:
- In 2012, economy of California grew at a faster rate than that of US. The real gross state product have increased by 3.5% comparatively to that of 2.5% of US gross domestic product.
- The economy of California was strong in 2011 with the real gross state product with 4.3 percent increase and 1.5% increase in private sector employment.
- Number of opening establishments was lower than that of closing establishments and the net change in employment was negative in 2011.
- In 2011, the gross state product of California was $1.96 trillion compared to that of US total GDP at $15 trillion.
- If California’s gross domestics product in 2011 placed it among top 10 economies around the world.
- In the month of April 2013, California state had 29.6 million labor force with 9% unemployment.
- Milken institute’s state science and technology index ranks the states based on the research and development dollars, venture capital investment, business starts and number of patents issued where it ranked California as 3rd among 50 states.
- In the year 2012, the US patent and trade mark office ranked California as the 1st in the nation in patents when around 34,660 patents were granted which accounts about 12.5% of the patents issued around the world.
- In the year 2013, California ranked 48th in the over all nation by the component tax and state business tax climate index.
- In 2011, three among ten cities were based in California in technology establishments. San Franciso was ranked first in technology accounting for 3,442 start ups.
- Los angeles ranked fourth with 1,507 start ups in technology. San diego was another city which was ranked sixth with 329 technology start ups.
- California state was ranked 16th in unemployment insurance tax, 17th in property tax, 40th in sales tax, 45th in corporate tax rates and 49th in individual income tax.
- Majority of the firms with employees are small businesses making up to 99.2 percent of the employers in the total state.
- In 2013, the states private sector has been increased by 3.6% which is above 2.1% of the national average growth rate.
Income and finance:
- The annual income of the small businesses with sole proprietors has been increased by 6.9% during third quarter of 2013 and totaled up to $149.4 billion.
- In the year 2012, 758,453 loans were issued under $100,000 by community reinvestment act lending institutions present in California.
Venture capital in California:
- California topped for receiving venture capital fund for the fourth consecutive year, 2012 while taking up 48% of total US venture capital investments.
- California state received around $14 billion in the united states venture capital investments.
What is search engine optimization (SEO)?
In order to gain global recognition and help the remote users and potential customers with the products and product information, the company website plays an important role. Therefore it is important that the company website is ranked higher than other competitors in search engine result pages (SERP). Search engine optimization (SEO) is all about improving the ranking of a company website in SERPs. Higher rankings in SERPs means more exposure on the internet and more customers leading to brand recognition, establishment, sales and subsequently to profits.
How does SEO work?
Surprisingly, there is no defined process for SEO. It all depends on the assumption on how a search engine works and what are the factors it considers for ranking of the websites. SEO aims at improving the authority of the website in terms of relevance of the content and usability. The more useful and relevant a website is for the viewer, better is its ranking in the SERPs. SEO hence aims at improving the relevance of the websites so that they can be of more use to the viewers by making the website easy to access and adding value to it.
Problems and trickiness of SEO
A little predictability and knowledge of the search engine algorithms is necessary for devising a proper SEO plan. But unfortunately, search engines keep them as a secret and nobody knows about these algorithms. Here is where the trickiness and the problem starts.
An SEO expert has to analyze and judge various websites based on their rankings in order to know for the features that resulted in higher rankings. Sometimes they have to test few models also to confirm the observations. Compliance to search engine algorithms has to be achieved at any costs to ensure higher rankings of the website.
Natural and relevant ways in adding value to the website leads to a higher ranking. Unwanted or dubious methods to fetch rankings by resorting to spamdexing and cloaking can do temporary or permanent damage to the ranking in SERPs. Some of the SEO techniques can improve the rankings sometimes and they may fail and lead to an inferior ranking some other times. Hence a person doing SEO has a great responsibility on his shoulders.
SEO is a great deal to popularize the business and make it widely recognized capturing business in local and remote markets only if it is done properly and as in accordance with the search engine algorithms.
Read the rest of this entry »
Why Online Advertising?
As the usage of internet is becoming more and more now a days the spread of online advertising is also rapid. Online advertising is very important in order to promote your business among the customers. Without online advertisement, you cannot drive much traffic and revenue for your business or a company. Therefore, it is must to exist in this vast competitive world. Online advertising has many benefits and this will help your business a lot.
Positive Impact of Online Advertising on Your Business
Online advertising will have huge impact on your business by boosting it. There are many advantages that your company can have using this online advertising some of them are:
Competitive advantage over other businesses:
With online advertising your new business or company can compete with other business, existing the market and the existing ones can improve their brand image by advertising through PPC and other major types of advertising.
Online advertising is affordable than other forms of advertising and some banners and links will be available free of cost which can reach large number of audience with no cost. If the advertising is done with Google ad wards, the cost can be more saved.
Targeted Audience Reach:
If your company or business is promoting a particular brand or a product then it is better to target the specific audience for whom you have the brand. This will bring the targeted audience quickly.
Creates Interaction With the Customers:
With this king of advertising, you can interact with your customers and get their feedback. This is very helpful, as you will know what really the customers want and what you are delivering to the customers, so that you can compare them and work some more to achieve more results.
Fast Conversion Rate:
The conversion rate of the advertisement is very fast with online advertising as it has major impact on the people. Through this conversion the companies brand image is improved and can gain huge revenue.
Speed and Informative:
This advertisements spread quickly among the people and gives complete information regarding the product or a company. So that the customer will have an idea about the business and they also can see the reviews.
Finally, your company can achieve a good brand name among the customers and attain huge revenue.
Few advantages of online advertising are stated above and there are many others that will help your business to reach heights.
Read the rest of this entry »
OSHA stands for Occupational Safety and Health Administration. OSHA is a Federal agency under the US Department of Labor that provides for industry safeguards and guidelines to ensure safety to the employee by creating a safe work environment.
Private, Federal, State and local government agencies come under the purview of OSHA and the onus lies on the employer to ensure that the regulations are carried out. OSHA standards demand strict compliance and employers need to display all the relevant posters at workplace at a place where the employees have access to them.
Employer duties as per OSHA
Though OSHA provides strict and necessary guidelines, the responsibility of ensuring them at workplace lies with the employer. OSHA laws are very comprehensive and cover different industries in different ways as the risks associated with employee life and health differ across industries. Employers should determine the OSHA safeguards that cover their nature of work and workplace. OSHA measures relate to every type of industry. These are discussed here briefly.
- Employee training for safety: It is the responsibility of the employer to provide the necessary training regarding the safety practices at work and the use of safety equipment present at workplace. The training should be in the form that can be understood by the employee and if necessary, training has to be provided in his native language.
- Record keeping and reporting accidents: The employers are expected to keep strict record of the injuries and illness of the employees and display them at a place where employees can see them. Any major accident leading to death or hospitalization of three or more employees has to be communicated within eight hours of its occurrence.
- Follow hazard communication standards: Proper standards and codes should be maintained to identify hazardous chemicals at the workplace and during transit. They should be labeled stating that the material is hazardous and the components must be displayed on the label. Employees should be trained to identify the threat and the way to act in case of fatalities.
- Emergency action plan, exit routes and fire safety: Employers must ensure that they have an emergency action plan. This plan kicks into action in case of emergency like fire or any other such typical situation. Regular drills must be conducted by the employer. When coming to the fire safety, employer should have a fore prevention plan at place. Portable fire extinguishers must be provided at work place and at least two fire exits should be there at work place. They should not contain any inflammable materials. The employees should be made aware of the exit routes to prefer in case of emergencies.
- General sanitation: General sanitation is a common measure to ensure personal health. The workplace should be clean and free from disease causing germs. Drinking water should provided and common glass for drinking water should be avoided. Perfect labeling should be done. Air quality should be checked and logs should be maintained.
- Medical and first aid: Employers must provide the first aid at workplace to manage little injuries at work. The first aid box should contain things as per the probable injuries and hazards. Employer should determine how many such kits he require and ensure training of the employees to use them properly.
Essence of compliance
Compliance of the safeguards and guidelines ensure that employee health and life is safeguarded. The practices also lead to a safer work environment. This leads to lesser illness and injuries and more work leading to the increase in production of the workforce. Happy and satisfied employees are more productive for a business than unsatisfied ones. It will save you from falling into legal complications coming because of workplace accidents or non-compliance of laws.
Read the rest of this entry »